Monday, December 1, 2008

Entry #12 -- November 1 - November 30, 2008


Just when we thought it was safe...the missionaries showed up at our door for Trick or Treats. It was obvious that their mothers did not make their costumes. Then the toilet backed up. The plumber had a great solution. He separated the plunger from the stick and used his bare hand to push the plunger down the toilet - yuck. It worked! Then we got stranded on the elevator one day when the electricity went out. We learned that cell phones do not work in elevators. Then we had to go to the dentist for our check-ups. The "dust bin lady" answered the door and wanted to know if we were there for our eyes or our teeth, as she pointed to each one and spoke in her "very best" English. That was a little unsettling. Then the dentist had to boil the instruments inbetween our teeth-cleaning sessions! But that gave Kent time to check the football scores on the dentist's flat screen t.v., which was right next to the chair! Our visit took two hours, cost $18 and there was no paperwork. Then we discovered that a bird (or some other creature) was building a nest in the bathroom window and had attached it to the mosquito net. Then we showed up at the Eastern Fleet's Navy Week open house to tour the ships at the port. Because of the bombings in Mubai a few days before, they wouldn't let any "foreigners" in! Then, Kent had to endure Thanksgiving Day without non-stop football games.

But we are grateful for so many things. When I first arrived, I had a list of things that I needed, wanted or wished that I could find. After awhile, I have either found them or found a good substitute. If I haven't found them, I finally realized that maybe I don't need them as much as I thought that I did or I have just learned to live without it.
Hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving!

Gathering wood -- 10 km northwest of Visakhapatnam at Simhachalam Hill. I had to climb a very steep hill and when I got to the top, she wanted me to pay her for taking her picture!

Must be wash day! The saris are drying flat, on the grass after being washed ... in the river. The picture was taken from a train as it passed over the Godavari River just after the stop in Rajamundry.

Palm trees, golden beach and Highway 5 going north out of Visakhapatnam. Mount Kailash, a hill park at 350 feet provides a panoramic view.


Shiva and Parvathi statues on Kailasagiri Hill.

The young women of Visakhapatnam 2nd Branch after a special program. They are beautifully attired in their very best saris.

President Kusuma (Prasad) and his wife, Gayathri from the Visakhapatnam 2nd Branch.

Thanksgiving Day, 2008. Dinner included chicken curry (easy on the spices), rice, brownies ordered from our favorite bakery and soft serve ice cream from Marry Brown's. They are all smiling because they just ate ... they will be hungry again in one hour! Pictured are Elders Talk, Manohar, Pacanos, McDonald, Sekar, Schmutz, Castagno, Morrison, Jenks, Bernard, Pessetto and Baree.

Many of you have asked for our mailing address:
our name(s)
India Bangalore Mission
"Anjali Plaza", 2nd Floor
493 C. M. H. Road, Indiranagar
Bangalore 560 038 India




2 comments:

kat and jason said...

so did you pay the pretty lady for taking her picture???

kat and jason said...

so did you pay the pretty lady for taking her picture???