The ABC's of (surviving) India...
Air conditioning - We do not have central air, but rely on a "split" a/c in our bedroom and a floor fan on wheels. Beach is within walking distance, called Ramakrishna Beach, but you wouldn't want to swim there. Cars are plentiful, but small. I doubt if anyone had to take a driver's education test! Dishwasher - don't have one. I get to wash the dishes by hand. Boiling water to rinse them is a good idea. (Dryer - don't have one of those either. All clothes, towels and sheets go on a small line in the "laundry room" or on a drying rack.) Electricity can go out occasionally and several times a day. Our apt. bldg. has a back-up generator which will run some lights and fans until it comes back on again. Fuzzy is what my washing machine is called. I don't know why. I would prefer to call it a "slosher". Geyser is the contraption hanging on the bathroom wall. It heats your shower water, unless you are too hot and would prefer cool water. Humidity ranges between high and very high. Ice cream is preferred at Jack Frost. If you buy it at the store, it may be melted by the time you get home. Japanese encephalitis shots were given to us by our health department before we left. They are rationed around the world, cost a lot of money, but protects you against a certain species of a mosquito. Karachiwala's is our favorite little grocery store, carrying some American food items, like Skippy peanut butter. Look right, then left for oncoming traffic if you want to live another day. Mail is getting to us with no problem, except it take three weeks. Night mosquitoes are more dangerous than daytime mosquitoes so you never forget to wear your Odomos or Deet. Ocean is really called the sea. Pizza Hut delivers (what more can I say!). Question? - people say, "I have a doubt." Railway station is always very busy and very confusing but we are determined we are going to figure it out. Subway is within walking distance; no, not to catch a train, but for a tuna sandwich every Tuesday. Transporation is usually by "auto" but we have learned how to go to the "complex" and catch a bus (they always come back to the place where they started!). Underwear is really called inner wear. Vegetarian and non-veg. restaurants are plentiful. I would love to have a salad if I could just find a head of lettuce! Water is safest if the label says "Aquafina". Never use the water from the tap to drink or even brush your teeth. X... Yellow pages - there are none, which makes it difficult to shop or find stores. Zoo - yes we have one here in Visakhapatnam.
2 comments:
take a picture of you and dad!
<3 your boomer sooner daughter.
i agree with lauren---i want some pics of you guys. clever little post--pretty creative you guys are!!:) especially like that pizza hut delivers-bonus!!!
Post a Comment